Thursday, May 11, 2006

Washington is swarming with Shih Tzus

In the world of American politics, Shih Tzu means character defect.

After all Shih Tzus are lap dogs.

What I ask is wrong with a lap dog?

I used to put my German Shepherd on my lap, but I had to take a shower afterwards.

The metaphor or analogy must run like this:

Bush is a doting over-sensitive Shihtzu owner looking for love and the journalists are his lap dogs dishing out unconditional love.

Good on Bush for finding Shih Tzus and unconditional love. If we could all be as lucky. Here's the article:

A Capital Full of Shih Tzu Reporters

"As I occasionally survey the pack of sycophantic Shih Tzus in the Washington press corps, wriggling on their bellies to kiss the feet of those in power, I feel plumb discouraged about the future of journalism...The president’s approval ratings are at 31%, and not a single Shih Tzu will yap at him."

Actually, Shih Tzus are known for being rather proud beasts, not very sycophantic at all, and I've never seen any of my eight Shihtzus "wriggling on his belly kissing my feet." More likely he's fighting over a woman (or food) with his teeth.

Pop culture images in peoples' heads are interesting though. According to Wikipedia on Lap gods I mean lap dogs:

"Popular culture presents the image of the spoiled or pampered 'pooch' who is the obnoxious companion of a spoiled or pampered lady."

I prefer the more traditional image of Shih Tzu as lion dog denizen of the Chinese emperor's forbidden palace, my home of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home